The Food Card initiative
The Food Card initiative
“Eliminating hunger from Iraq one card at a time”
Nature and constraints of delivering food aid in Iraq
- Usually food aid distribution requires recipients to wait in queues for long hours as aid organizations hand out pre-prepared packages.
- Often, the food received per handout lasts for only a few days.
- The recipients have no choice over the type of food that is handed out. Many times, what they receive may NOT be what they need
- More than often, giving cash for food is not feasible due to the risk of theft, and misuse of funds allocated for food.
- It is very difficult for a charity to maintain a clear line of transparency when dealing in cash
IHDRF is proud to support the Misbah food Card Initiative.
- Recipients register their names through an Identification system with our local affiliate Misbah al Hussein Development & Relief Foundation
- Each recipient then obtains a “Misbah food card” with credit amounts of $20 or $40
- These Food cards can then be used to purchase groceries from vendors and supermarkets that we have partnered with.
- The participating vendors provide up to an extra 10% of grocery value on the card value giving added value to the recipients.
- At the beginning of each month, recipients can have their food cards renewed with minimum wait times
- An efficient way of delivering food aid by minimizing overhead costs incurred by the charity by way of logistics and distribution of the food packages.
- Maintaining the dignity and self-esteem of the recipients of food aid. There will be no need to wait in long queues outside the charity premises seeking food.
- The recipients now have the choice and ability to buy the food items of their desire empowering them to be in better control of the nutritional needs of their families.
- A great initiative to promote the local economy. Instead of pre-packaged foods being purchased from out of the country or city, this initiative promotes the local economies as participating vendors and supermarkets receive a given amount of income through the purchases made via the food cards.
- A great initiative to encourage a culture of social welfare. Participating vendors so far, have agreed to top up food card values by an additional 5% worth of groceries to recipients.
Sponsor a monthly Misbah food card today
- You can play a part in eliminating hunger from the city of Karbala by sponsoring an annual/monthly food card for a family valued at $20. $50 or $75 per month
- Participate in an act of charity either for yourself, or on behalf of your deceased family members as a form of sadaqa jariyah
- Corporate Sponsorship: Let your company join hands with some of the greatest firms and entrepreneurs world-wide to support the impoverished citizens of Iraq starting with the Holy Lands of Karbala